Slow month

Well I’ve been sick so far this month.  And I’ve not posted as many updates to the blog as I would have liked. I started feeling better this weekend and got out into my hobby area. 

First off, what’s new …  I got this nice set of new brushes for Christmas (to myself). 

  
I’ll let you know how they work out when I get back to work on painting minis. 

As for a weekend project, I had noticed when going through things that I had a couple sets of the old GW jungle style trees. 

  
 They were sort of a mish-mash of style and paint. So I put a plan together to redo them. I spent a couple weeks tracking down more sets. I found 2 more on eBay and another through a local gamer.  I think I ended up spending less than 16-18$ all together. 

  
Anyhow, I had all the trees together now – and feeling somewhat better I set to work Saturday morning. 

I first glued the bases of the trees to a nice big washer. I found a jar of these washers in the shop and they are nice and thin – raised in a ring with a depressed hole in the center. They measure around 1.25″ dia. which seemed like a perfect size. I also had enough for the 24 trees I’d found. 

  
After glueing the stumps of the trees to the washer I filled in any gaps due to the center depression with spackle. I then glued on some fine sand for texture. I tried to keep a random look on these.  I finished up by primering the bases and letting them dry. 

  
Next, I started painting the parts still on the sprues.  I primed the branches tan – and the foliage a forest green. 

On the branches I followed up wth a red wash. This was to start pulling out the details of the parts. I followed that wash up with some diluted blue ink. 

   
On the tops of the foliage I added a layer of the blue wash as well – to help add depth as well as enhance the details in the mold. 

 
On the underside of the leaves I base coated some red – followed again with a blue wash.

While the parts still on the sprue dried I spent time working in the trees I already had assembled.  Giving them the same color treatment as I could. This took the rest of Saturday to finish. 

  

Finally, on Sunday, I started assembly.  I cut out all the parts from the sprues.   I  then divided the parts somewhat equally between all the stumps. And I slowly started glueing the trees together. 

Yesterday, I added the finishing touches. I glued on some static grass, and added some extra highlights and detail paint to every tree. I wrapped it all up with some lighter/ dusty green dry brushing over the top of each tree to add one more needed depth. 

  
And done!  Now I have enough trees to really make a cool table. I love having these options. 

Next I plan on working on making some fences.  They will be for Dark-Age as well as the other 28mm battles. 

-d

Advertisements

One thought on “Slow month

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s