I decided on (2) long sections, (2) short sections and (2) corner sections. The posts are about 9″ apart / with near 10″ bases. My intention is to try and keep one fence in fairly decent condition and another damaged in some degree for each set.
I followed that up by painting the fence hardware itself. I’m looking to show metal bits as a aged, damaged and rusting fence. Using Boltgun Metal for a simple and sloppy base. I then moved on with a brown – dabbing that on for a basic foundation for the rust build-up.
I continued that with lighter and brighter dabs of rusty orange colors. I didn’t use bird strokes with the “rusting”. I used bits of sponge and dappling with a large brush – keeping the look natural and random. After this I gave the naturally shaded areas a light blackish wash.
My last steps will be to go back and dirty up – rust and grime to the barb-wire. Then to touch up the mesh – (I had chipped off primer on sections I folded and cut up for fence damage. I’ll also add a last bit of rusting highlights. Then I’ll add some grass and give everything a matte coat.
Next time the fence will be complete!