Last week was a blur … last Saturday we spent the day at the beach – and the weather was glorious. Unusually clear, bright, not windy and not ice cold ocean water for the Oregon coast. Suffice to say, I had fun with the family. I also go a bit sunburnt.
After my last post I got sick for most of the week. So after work each day I spent most of my time resting and trying to get better. Which left the Yurt porch in a holding pattern. Sadly, I won’t be getting back to work on that for another week because next week we are on vacation.
Our Roadtrip will be to New Mexico to visit a friend and his family for a couple days. Along with that we will see the Grand Canyon and a few other sights in the American south west along the way.
I did get this box set put together for Dark-Age at one point last week before I got sick. They went together pretty easily. But they did d require some mold line cleaning.
I ran into a snag on getting the yurt porch going this past weekend. I do have the lumber ready to go…
And I started cutting the new Drip Edge pieces down to size from the ⅜” plywood.
But when I started pulling off the rotten skirting I ran into some extensive dry-rot on the platform floor. – which I had expected to find some … but this put a halt on the project for a few days.
I had to cut out the rot – push back the lattace and support posts to get at the decking. Without taking the yurt wall completely apart – this was going to be tricky. I used my skilsaw along with a wood chisel and my reciprocating saw to remove all the rot that I could.
The deck is 1 ⅛” plywood … and I had kept all the scraps from the initial build – so I set about cutting a piece to fit my jagged hole. The patch wasn’t going to be pretty- but it would do the job.
I used some wood filler to fill the gaps – and I glued and deck screwed the patch into place. I came back the next day after it was all dry and used my skilsaw to trim the patch to match the arc of the yurt decking.
I then sanded it all smooth – cleaning up excess glue and wood filler as I went.
I added a few fresh coats of polyurethane to seal things up – and yo match the existing floor. I put three coats on over the next day – before sliding back the posts and lattice.
Now I can get back to the drip edge installing. This week I’ll work on the porch.
On the hobby table … I got these promethium pipes done.
Of course they are magnitized so they will stay together on the game table- but can be re-arranged in a wide variety of options.
That’s it for now.
This last week didn’t allow for much hobby time. But I did get the Yurt window wrapped up.
I also picked up the lumber for the front porch. I should be starting that project this week.
I did get this Kickstarter this week …
“Fast Pandas Pizza” …. food cart thing for sci-fi (Infinity) settings. Right now it is a box of parts. I dry fit some of the basic parts …
It should go together pretty easily. And the molds and details are wonderful.
Looks cool, something I’ll get together this winter lol.