I ran into a snag on getting the yurt porch going this past weekend. I do have the lumber ready to go…
And I started cutting the new Drip Edge pieces down to size from the ⅜” plywood.
But when I started pulling off the rotten skirting I ran into some extensive dry-rot on the platform floor. – which I had expected to find some … but this put a halt on the project for a few days.
I had to cut out the rot – push back the lattace and support posts to get at the decking. Without taking the yurt wall completely apart – this was going to be tricky. I used my skilsaw along with a wood chisel and my reciprocating saw to remove all the rot that I could.
The deck is 1 ⅛” plywood … and I had kept all the scraps from the initial build – so I set about cutting a piece to fit my jagged hole. The patch wasn’t going to be pretty- but it would do the job.
I used some wood filler to fill the gaps – and I glued and deck screwed the patch into place. I came back the next day after it was all dry and used my skilsaw to trim the patch to match the arc of the yurt decking.
I then sanded it all smooth – cleaning up excess glue and wood filler as I went.
I added a few fresh coats of polyurethane to seal things up – and yo match the existing floor. I put three coats on over the next day – before sliding back the posts and lattice.
Now I can get back to the drip edge installing. This week I’ll work on the porch.
On the hobby table … I got these promethium pipes done.
Of course they are magnitized so they will stay together on the game table- but can be re-arranged in a wide variety of options.
That’s it for now.
It’s been a busy week. Working overtime and several Saturdays. Really is cutting into getting hobby stuff done lol. But I’ve made some progress on things.
I reused the tin from the old sheds we tore down to protect the wall for the woodshed area.
I’ve also got the woodshed area framed …
… tonight I’ll try to get the rafters in – and sow blocking. I should have to tin roof on by tomorrow. Then it’s on to the larger roof to cover the area between the garage and tall shed.
I have had time to start priming my larger industrial MDF terrain. I’ll be using the rusty red as a base – then I’ll try out using salt as a weathering method.
Lastly, I’ve decided to take the dive into Arena Rex after picking this set up at a great discount (used).
I have really loved the look of these figures … I’m planning to purchase a couple more. And I’m really looking forward to making my own arena 😄.
That’s it for me. I’m hoping to wrap up the construction this weekend so I can get back to game related stuff for a few afternoons. Next after a short build break on the list will be back to yurt stuff.
Wow, this month just flew by. Summer like weather has arrived to the Pacific Northwest. With that … outside activities seem to have taken over my project time. Sorry about the couple week gap.
I’ve been fitting in some hobby time this month. Firstly, I got these three done – and thus I’ve finished my Dark-Age Outcasts.
I’m happy I’ve gotten these guys done. Now I have two nicely pained factions done for Dark-Age. Now I’ll be ready to possibly do some basic demo games in trying to grow the Dark-Age player base in my area.
I did pick up the new rules recently, but I’ve not had the time to play with them yet.
Next up I’ve spent some time to try and work on the vast collection of terrain kits I’ve collected.
These MDF kits are great for quick and interesting terrain. They go together quickly – and are a breeze to paint up.
I finished these two in just a few days / I’m hoping they work for a variety of games.
I’m following these up with some new MDF and plastic kits from Warsenal – geared for Dark-Age.
The instructions are online and pretty clear. So far things are going together easily.
Lastly, I’ve finished this little Bones dragon for my daughters birthday in a couple weeks.
Ok – my intention is to keep plugging away at terrain kits. Then a compete redo my my painting and hobby table area. Before then I’ve got outside and yurt projects to complete.