This Week in Hobby – 7.18.17


I ran into a snag on getting the yurt porch going this past weekend.   I do have the lumber ready to go…


And I started cutting the new Drip Edge pieces down to size from the ⅜” plywood. 


But when I started pulling off the rotten skirting I ran into some extensive dry-rot on the platform floor. – which I had expected to find some … but this put a halt on the project for a few days. 


I had to cut out the rot – push back the lattace and support posts to get at the decking.   Without taking the yurt wall completely apart – this was going to be tricky.  I used my skilsaw along with a wood chisel and my reciprocating saw to remove all the rot that I could. 

The deck is 1 ⅛” plywood … and I had kept all the scraps from the initial build – so I set about cutting a piece to fit my jagged hole. The patch wasn’t going to be pretty- but it would do the job. 


I used some wood filler to fill the gaps – and I glued and deck screwed the patch into place.  I came back the next day after it was all dry and used my skilsaw to trim the patch to match the arc of the yurt decking. 

I then sanded it all smooth – cleaning up excess glue and wood filler as I went. 


I added a few fresh coats of polyurethane to seal things up – and yo match the existing floor.  I put three coats on over the next day – before sliding back the posts and lattice. 


Now I can get back to the drip edge installing.  This week I’ll work on the porch. 

On the hobby table … I got these promethium pipes done. 


Of course they are magnitized so they will stay together on the game table- but can be re-arranged in a wide variety of  options. 

That’s it for now. 

-d

Summer Projects – 7.3.17

After a weekend of relaxing I set about to start ticking off some of the yurt projects. First on that list was the installation of the standard window. It has been something I’ve needed to do for a couple years … it was nice to get it done. 


First thing that had to happen was taking off the yurt siding – so I could access the lattice framing in the area I wanted the window. This happens to be directly opposite of the door. 


I then pulled back the insulation layer… and matched up the window frame along the interior wall. 


I had to unscrew the lattice from the existing 2×4 supports. Then I removed the two supports and slid in the new widow frame support. Then I reattached the lattice with screws to the new window frame. 


Next, I cut out the lattice for the window. After that I attached some mounting strips around the window frame before putting the insulation and outer siding. 


After the walls were back in place I cut both the insulation and putter layer out for the final part of the window install.


After some outside trim work – the window is fully secured. It was a pretty simple job which only took about ⅔ of my weekend. I feel bad for letting it slide so long. 

Next up for the yurt with be a new front porch – and some reworked skirting.  I’m hoping to start that next week. Sadly, I got no time in for hobby stuff this past week. 

-d