This Week in Hobby 8.14.17

Well last week I was on a vacation roadtrip. We traveled south to Nevada, then to Arizona and New Mexico. We traveled back thru Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California. 


We saw lots of cool sites along the way. So much to see – so little time. It was a great family vacation – and we are happy to be home now. 


Hobby wise, I worked on more terrain. This was a big kit. And the online instruction PDF was great. 



I went ahead and dry-fit the whole thing. I am sure I’ll primer and paint this while it’s mostly apart. 

I’m hoping to get basic colors on it this week and then I’ll add it to my paint and details later group. 


On the Yurt project… I’ve been waiting for my new metal skirting… it’s been delayed several weeks.  I got the deck framed and ready. I’m just hoping to get the metal skirting before going to far.   

Things on tap for me this week. I’m hoping to get the skirting metal and finish the yurt porch this week. And then the following Monday we will be looking at the “Great American Eclipse”. My home is in the path of totality … so we’ve got our fingers crossed for clear skies. 

-d

This Week in Hobby – 7.27.17

Last week was a blur … last Saturday we spent the day at the beach – and the weather was glorious.  Unusually clear, bright, not windy and not ice cold ocean water for the Oregon coast.   Suffice to say, I had fun with the family. I also go a bit sunburnt. 


After my last post I got sick for most of the week. So after work each day I spent most of my time resting and trying to get better. Which left the Yurt porch in a holding pattern. Sadly, I won’t be getting back to work on that for another week because next week we are on vacation. 

Our Roadtrip will be to New Mexico to visit a friend and his family for a couple days. Along with that we will see the Grand Canyon and a few other sights in the American south west along the way. 


I did get this box set put together for Dark-Age at one point last week before I got sick. They went together pretty easily. But they did d require some mold line cleaning. 

– d

This Week in Hobby – 7.18.17


I ran into a snag on getting the yurt porch going this past weekend.   I do have the lumber ready to go…


And I started cutting the new Drip Edge pieces down to size from the ⅜” plywood. 


But when I started pulling off the rotten skirting I ran into some extensive dry-rot on the platform floor. – which I had expected to find some … but this put a halt on the project for a few days. 


I had to cut out the rot – push back the lattace and support posts to get at the decking.   Without taking the yurt wall completely apart – this was going to be tricky.  I used my skilsaw along with a wood chisel and my reciprocating saw to remove all the rot that I could. 

The deck is 1 ⅛” plywood … and I had kept all the scraps from the initial build – so I set about cutting a piece to fit my jagged hole. The patch wasn’t going to be pretty- but it would do the job. 


I used some wood filler to fill the gaps – and I glued and deck screwed the patch into place.  I came back the next day after it was all dry and used my skilsaw to trim the patch to match the arc of the yurt decking. 

I then sanded it all smooth – cleaning up excess glue and wood filler as I went. 


I added a few fresh coats of polyurethane to seal things up – and yo match the existing floor.  I put three coats on over the next day – before sliding back the posts and lattice. 


Now I can get back to the drip edge installing.  This week I’ll work on the porch. 

On the hobby table … I got these promethium pipes done. 


Of course they are magnitized so they will stay together on the game table- but can be re-arranged in a wide variety of  options. 

That’s it for now. 

-d