This week in Hobby – 04.04.16

Spring has sprung here at home … 

  
And I’ve been outside tending to the yard more than inside on my hobby stuff. 

The big looming project for me is getting the yurt “finished” in the next 6-8 weeks. This will take precedence over all other projects that I have. This last week I got out and gave the yurt a good wash. 

   
 I’m hoping to get the materials to start building the new covered porch this week.  I’m finalizing my list today and tomorrow. With luck we will be putting in the footings by Saturday. 
On the hobby table – I’ve worked on detailing out the USAriadna that I’d gotten base colors on over the last couple weeks. 

  
  
I’m going slow on this project – mostly due to my minimal time at the painting bench. But, I’m focusing on one or two figures at a time now – and the progress I die make seems meaningful. 

Lastly, in my zeal to completeness … I somehow picked up an extra book for Dark-Age on eBay … 

  
It’s in good condition and I ant tying to think of a good way to give it away 😄… I’ll even cover shipping.  So give me a good reason why you should have this … Why your following my blog of nonsense – And it’s yours. 

-d

Yurt Bath Time

It’s been a bit since I last cleaned the yurt (outside). I wanted to do it as easy as possible. I settled on water … and this simple hydro powered car washer. I extended it with a couple PVC pipes converted for the job.

20140623-190056-68456053.jpg

20140623-190127-68487177.jpg

20140623-190122-68482842.jpg

20140623-190124-68484656.jpg

These worked out really well – as you can see the roof was rather dirty.

20140623-190242-68562291.jpg

20140623-190239-68559766.jpg

It took a couple hours – lots of up and down the ladder and lots of getting wet lol. Thankfully, it’s been a fairly warm start to our summer.

-d

Yurt updates

Wow – it took over a year but I finally get some things new done in the yurt. With the help if my son we got the vapor barrier spread out under the yurt. Basically black plastic in a roll cut down to size. We crawled around getting all the parts down with a generous overlap of about a foot.

Then this weekend I installed a series of vents into the skirting to allow the air flow under the yurt to breathe.

Simple 5″ round soffit vents – plastic vents. With a 5″ hole saw I got them installed in minutes. The whole process took about an hour. The fit real snugly too. Also, I spray painted the outside of the vents with textured brown paint to match the existing skirting. Here are some photos of the vent install.

 

20140609-141150-51110821.jpg

20140609-141152-51112566.jpg

20140609-141154-51114521.jpg

20140609-141156-51116229.jpg
-d